Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Hmmm......

Today, as I was eating a very nutritious breakfast that consisted of a 3 Musketeers and Dr. Pepper, I was told by a coworker that this is not good to eat for breakfast. This got me to thinking, again, about who decided that candy was candy and that you could only eat it for dessert. Who decided that eggs were for breakfast and for that matter who decided that cornbread goes good with dinner? Likewise, who decided that curse words were curse words? Why is butt not just as bad as the explicative for butt? We all know what it means. If anyone has seen the Obrit comercial where the guy gets caught cheating you know what I'm talking about. They say things like "What the French, Toast?" While I find this wildly hilarious, we all know what could be said in place of this? So why is one bad and not the other. Another example is the work "freakin'" I have to threaten my oldest's life most of the time not to use this word. To me it is just like she is saying the F word.
Anywhoo, I have tried over the years to implement words or phrases that I think are cool. It almost worked last year when I started using my fingers and mouth to spell out "WOW". I really thought this was catching on, but I did it the other day after a long period of not doing it and did not get the response that I was looking for. Anyway, my point is that either if I am not important enough to start catch phrases or come up with words, who is? Who are these powerful people that came up with the word Yogurt or balloon, or bologna? I need to know these things!!

6 comments:

Dawn said...

Your post cracked me up! When I was taking high school Spanish, we would choose one word from that week's vacab list and use it, well, ummm... let's just say inappropriately. Much to the teachers angst.

For example: "Get your guantes (Spanish word for gloves, pronounced gwan-tase) off me!" Or, "I'm gonna kick your guantes butt."

Hope you enjoyed your breakfast! Personally, I like a slice of cold pizza with a glass of orange juice.

Anonymous said...

Wow - you are thinking really deep today!!! I totally relate to what you are saying though! Why is it that words we say now - like butt -were banned by our mothers when we were children? My mother is always telling my children - it is bottom NOT butt. I seem to use butt when describing anything to do with that part of the body. For example: sweetie get mommy the butt cream, come on Cody let's get your butt changed, O.k. who is letting stinkers out of their butt?
My mom cringes I am sure!
Breakfast: a giant economy sized coffe with 2 cream and 2 sugars and this morning and ham and cheese sandwich on wheat.

Thank you for your post on Ryan's k5 graduation!

Valarie Lea said...

W O W (and I am doing this with my hands and mouth) sounds like you have a lot of pent up frustrations at some word making people. I think we should start making up words. I have this widget thing on my home page and it gives me slang of the day. Listen to this one.

cereal
American Slang
Origin: American Slang
Definition: serious
Example: I thought that he was joking, but I soon figured out that he was cereal.

What???

I also don't like it when the kids say "What The" We all know whats supposed to come next.

Brenda said...

I KNOW! Who determines these things...just like bloody is a cuss word in England but not here. Where someone got 'balloon' out of 'round thing that goes POP' is beyond me!

ot...you're not alone in thinking the other word for Arizona is hot...I thought that before we moved here. But actually we're in Northern AZ at 7000 ft.
Just a geography lesson!

Happy day!
Brenda

j said...

OH NO! I am offensive to you cause I TOTALLY use the word freakin'. And my kids do too. Oh the SHAME!

I guess I just haven't put, you know, THAT, as the meaning.

I also say BLOOMIN' a bunch.

This post was too cute. You really put some thought into it, didn't you chick!

Be blessed.

Jennifer

j said...

Hey Girl! I am running the Blogroll Marathon and you were next on my list. Just stopping by to say Howdy.



Howdy!


Jennifer